Business voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) services allow your team to communicate and collaborate virtually and track customer and prospect interactions. Providers of the best VoIP for small business offer affordable plans, thoughtful feature sets, and easy-to-use phone systems. This enables small companies and entrepreneurs to quickly set up new numbers or port existing ones for a seamless transition to VoIP.
According to our research, the best VoIP for small business owners include:
- RingCentral: Best overall small business VoIP services for companies wanting a unified communications system built to scale with them as they grow
- GoToConnect: Great VoIP option for teams needing a reliable phone service with robust video conferencing capabilities, but don’t need more extensive integrations or call management functionality
- Nextiva: Best VoIP provider for stable organizations looking for an easy-to-use service with tools to automate workflows they can partner with for an extended period of time
- 8×8: Best small business VoIP services for companies seeking unlimited international calling plans
- Vonage: Best small business VoIP service for teams wanting flexible, a la carte plans and pricing
- Phone.com: Top choice for VoIP services for organizations that prefer metered subscriptions
- Ooma: Best VoIP services for small businesses and solopreneurs needing a robust yet affordable solution
RingCentral: Best Overall Small Business VoIP Service
*Pricing is based on two to 20 users. Save up to 33% with an annual prepayment and receive volume discounts for 100 or more users.
RingCentral unifies business communication and collaboration on a single platform. Your team can use desktop or mobile devices to answer calls, message co-workers, and share documents. Its frequent updates and comprehensive feature set make RingCentral the clear winner for the best VoIP services for a small business.
Since its founding in 1999, RingCentral has been an innovator in the history of VoIP. It has recently upgraded many features to support virtual work, including a picture-in-picture mode and team huddle spaces.
However, RingCentral offers fewer toll-free minutes compared to Nextiva, and its feature-rich platform may be unnecessary for a solopreneur. A solo business owner may prefer an Ooma personal or business plan or another RingCentral alternative.
- Team huddle: RingCentral’s huddle spaces let your employees and outside collaborators, including clients and contractors, meet spontaneously in a persistent audio or video call. People can come and go throughout the day, mimicking the traditional office environment.
- Picture-in-picture mode: For mobile phone and tablet users, a video meeting may prevent you from accessing other messages and documents because if you move away from the video, it logs you out. RingCentral’s picture-in-picture mode eliminates this problem by letting users stay in the conversation while working in the background.
- Video overlay: Presentation mode lets you share your screen and superimpose your video feed anywhere on the screen, so it feels like you’re presenting in person. It helps you personalize presentations and keep attendees focused.
GoToConnect: Best VoIP Service for Optimized Audio & Video Conferencing
*Prices are based on two to 10 users, with additional price breaks for 11, 21, 51, and 101 users. You save up to 12% with an annual prepayment.
GoToConnect is a LogMeIn product offering business voice, video, and messaging services. LogMeIn replaced join.me with GoTo products for web collaboration, but several join.me alternatives exist. Although GoToConnect lacks some features found with RingCentral, such as whiteboarding, RingCentral’s entry-level plan doesn’t include video.
The GoToConnect Basic plan supports unlimited 40-minute video meetings, but only for up to four people. We name it as best for video conferencing since the Standard and Premium plans offer advanced video features at an affordable monthly cost. If this is important to you but GoToMeeting isn’t right for your business, check out the best GoToMeeting alternatives.
GoToConnect makes it easy to schedule recurring meetings, add co-organizers, and switch to a video call from audio or chat with one click. For small business owners, GoToConnect is a flexible, all-in-one system at an affordable price point.
- Screen sharing: Keep your team in view on the webcam gallery while you share your screen from a desktop, laptop, tablet, or cell phone. The drawing tools allow you to edit, modify, and markup documents together in real time.
- Bundled plans: With GoToConnect, you bundle other tools for significant savings. For instance, for only $5 more per user, per month, you can add the password manager, LastPass, online event tool, GoToWebinar, and premium onboarding. The webinar tool comes with many engagement tools, including polls and surveys.
- Public branch exchange (PBX) tools: All GoToConnect versions come with dozens of general and advanced VoIP features, such as visual voicemail, call flip, presence monitoring, hold music, and a dial-by-name directory.
Nextiva: Best Small Business VoIP Service for Workflow Automation
*Pricing is based on one to four users, with volume discounts available when adding five, 20, or 100 users. Save additional money with an annual prepayment.
Like RingCentral, Nextiva is considered to be one of the more robust business phone providers in the market today. However, while much of RingCentral’s versatility is due to its extensive offerings of third-party integrations that benefit growing teams, Nextiva’s feature set is better suited for established teams who don’t want to automate sales and service tasks with third-party tools. It also is less expensive as long as you are willing to sign an extended contract.
In addition, while all the best small business VoIP providers on our list let you record phone and voicemail greetings as part of an auto-attendant system, only Nextiva includes at least one free professionally recorded voice greeting in most plans. To make it even easier, all you have to do is supply the script, select the voice talent and language, and Nextiva handles the rest.
Nextiva provides a local and toll-free number with every subscription, and plans come with 1,500 to 12,500 toll-free minutes. In comparison, GoToConnect charges an extra fee for toll-free numbers, and neither RingCentral nor GoToConnect offer toll-free minutes on the entry-level package. Explore our guide on Nextiva to learn if it’s a possible solution for your business.
- Voice recordings: Along with the free recording(s) included, you can purchase extra ones for $50 for 50 words. Support your brand and improve caller experiences by ordering professionally recorded voice greetings for special promotions for callers to listen to while on-hold or time-specific messages, such as the holidays or after hours.
- Automation tools: Nextiva offers various automated features for your sales and service teams, allowing them to prioritize callers instead of follow-up tasks. For example, your team will get an alert if a ticket hasn’t been replied to. Assign tasks to team members, send them reminders, and even automatically enroll customers in your email campaigns.
- Customer management: You’ll appreciate built-in tools that enhance the customer experience, such as instant customer insights and advanced ticket management. Both let you view all customer interactions and search for important details.
Learn more about how Nextiva compares to RingCentral in our head-to-head matchup.
8×8: Best Small Business VoIP Service for International Calling
*Pricing is based on a monthly payment. Save up to 25% on X-Series plans by prepaying yearly.
8×8 provides a full unified communications (UC) platform with international calling to 47 countries. Although GoToConnect offers plans with calling to 52 countries, its unlimited plan doesn’t include mobile numbers and only covers specific area codes within those regions. In contrast, 8×8’s coverage extends countrywide, so you don’t get unexpected charges on your phone bill.
Likewise, 8×8 also offers the cheapest entry-level phone plan with an auto-attendant, visual voicemail, and audio or video conferencing for up to 100 participants. 8×8 also recently upgraded its X-Series plans, allowing you to connect with up to 500 active participants. Each attendee can share their screen, share video, and present.
- International presence: Along with international calling, 8×8 offers phone numbers in more than 120 countries, even if you don’t have a physical location there. Your global customers can call a local number or international toll-free number and reach your team. Plus, 8×8 services support 46 languages.
- Inline replies: 8×8 comes with a unique feature that lets you reply without opening your 8×8 Work app. Instead, you send a quick message from your iOS notification screen.
- Moderation controls: Handle large conferences with advanced controls, such as a participant lobby, custom attendee permission, a meeting lock, and the ability to delegate hosting duties.
Vonage: Best Small Business VoIP Service for a La Carte Pricing
*Pricing is based on one to four users, but volume discounts apply when adding five or 20 users. In addition, a free business phone number comes with an online purchase and a one-year commitment.
If you want VoIP services that are ideal for your small business but don’t want a bunch of features you don’t use, Vonage is a good option. It offers plans with more than 50 VoIP features along with various add-ons, allowing you to customize your phone system. Add-on pricing starts at $2.99 for a spam shield, and includes other options, like call recording, visual voicemail, information technology (IT) services or a conference bridge.
- Call continuity: Vonage offers a standout feature that lets you continue your phone conversation even if your internet or electricity goes out. If a call abruptly ends, Vonage automatically directs your caller to a backup number.
- Add-ons: There are dozens of add-ons available per user or for your whole company. The most popular options include spam shield, visual voicemail, conference bridge, and call recording. For example, for an additional $49.99 per month, you can automatically record all company calls. Vonage also provides application programming interfaces (APIs) for cloud or on-premise solutions.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) virtual assistant: The artificial intelligence (AI) tool is an excellent add-on for small businesses. Create scripts to assist customers with basic questions, then the assistant uses natural language understanding (NLU), machine learning, and natural language processing (NLP) to analyze customer interactions and sentiment.
Phone.com: Best Small Business VoIP Service for Metered Plans
*Pricing based on monthly payments for one to four users. Save up to 20% with annual prepayment and get additional discounts when adding five, 10, or 25 users.
Phone.com is the only provider on our list of the best VoIP for small business providers offering a metered plan. Like 8×8, you can mix and match packages, allowing you to choose unlimited versions for high-volume users and metered plans for everyone else.
You can also buy extra shared minutes, starting at $18.50 for 500. Plus, all packages come with an automated attendant and call logs. Although Phone.com is an affordable alternative to other services, it lacks deep integrations. If you want to connect your customer relationship manager (CRM) or help desk tools, look at RingCentral or GoToConnect.
- Affordability: Phone.com is the least expensive provider when adding five or more users. The metered plan cost drops to $8.99 for 25 or more users, compared to $12 for 8×8 Express. Likewise, the top tier plan ranges from $21.99 to $29.99 compared to more than $30 for other business VoIP services.
- Add-ons: Although Phone.com doesn’t offer as much variety as Vonage, you can add inbound faxing, a shared line for common areas, and call recording. It also features a live receptionist to answer your overflow or after-hours calls for $90 per month.
- Video conferencing: Phone.com subscriptions let you have unlimited video meetings with up to 100 participants for any length of time. You can share your screen and documents, chat during the session, and even livestream to YouTube with the Pro package.
Ooma: Best Small Business VoIP Service for Solopreneurs
*Enterprise plans require a contract.
Ooma differs from other small business VoIP systems because you can use the Basic plan free, without a monthly fee, by purchasing equipment. Ooma also provides packages for small businesses and enterprises, including contact center services. Like other VoIP services, the business versions also work on your cell phone, making it possible to reduce the number of business cell phone plans your business needs.
While personal plans lack business features like call routing and call recording, they could be ideal for solopreneurs needing a home office phone line. By buying an Ooma Telo, you can eliminate your monthly phone bill and simply pay monthly taxes and fees on the VoIP services. However, personal plans don’t include advanced analytics. For more usage details, consider a business plan or one of the best Ooma alternatives.
- Online portal and call logs: Set up your phone preferences and view a list of inbound and outbound calls from your online portal. From here, it’s also possible to listen to voicemail.
- Home devices: Ooma offers three devices for residential plans. Ooma Telo is hardwired to your router, whereas Ooma Telo Air connects wirelessly to your internet. The third option runs over a cellular network, making it an excellent choice for those with sporadic home internet.
- Phone numbers: The Basic plan comes with one local phone number in your choice of ZIP code. Choose the Premier package to get two numbers or pick a business plan to select a toll-free or local number.
How We Evaluated the Best Small Business VoIP Services
The best business phone systems for VoIP come with all the tools your company needs for inbound and outbound calling while offering a range of plans to suit your budget. We reviewed various small business VoIP services based on the types and cost of subscription plans and available features, such as mobile and desktop apps.
With a score of 4.75 out of 5, RingCentral is the clear winner for the best VoIP for small business. It provides top-rated mobile apps, unlimited calling and texting in the U.S. and Canada, and voicemail-to-text. Plus, it can scale with advanced features as your small business grows. RingCentral offers four plans and a 30-day free trial for up to five users.
Learn how we evaluated the best small business VoIP services by clicking on the tabs below:
25% of Overall Score
Cost is often the determining factor when choosing the best small business VoIP provider. We examined the cost of VoIP services for various plans and types of discounts offered, such as lower annual pricing. We also reviewed the length of free trials and determined which providers offer a free version.
25% of Overall Score
We looked for the most-desired small business VoIP features, including mobile and desktop apps, voicemail, and short message service texting (SMS). Plus, we looked for services that come with an auto-attendant and conference calling options.
25% of Overall Score
We explored popular and niche features for different use cases, such as international calling and video calling. We also checked out which providers offer toll-free numbers, voicemail transcription, and integrations.
25% of Overall Score
We calculated our expert score by assessing standout features and overall value for the money. We also considered user reviews and our personal use of the service to determine ease of use and the popularity of the best small business VoIP services.
The best small business VoIP services provide a unified platform for voice, video, and chat. They also come with apps so your team can communicate and collaborate using any device. Both VoIP and virtual phone systems help your company improve customer experiences using features like virtual receptionist and professional greetings.
RingCentral is the best VoIP for small business. It offers local, international, and toll-free numbers, and all subscriptions include toll-free minutes. RingCentral continually updates its features, ensuring that your team can access the latest tools for virtual meetings. Get started today by signing up for a 30-day free trial.